- nd [c1960] (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
An announcement of the creation of the Car Club can found in the April 1958 Polytechnic magazine:
"The formation of this club will probably come as a surprise to many readers of this magazine. In fact, there has been a group of students in the Extension Building, Little Titchfield Street, trying to get this
club working energetically for several months. The Club hopes now for a period of rapid expansion, in members and activities, as the glorious summer motoring weather comes upon us. Surely there are many
students of The Polytechnic interested in joining this thriving Club, enthusiasts and interested bystanders are welcome, whether they own a motor cycle, a hearse, or nothing at all.
The aims of this organization are to further interest in motoring of every kind, by 50c.c. cycle motors or Rolls Royce. There are several groups already within the Club, some primarily interested in Motor Racing, others in learning why a piston suddenly comes through the bonnet of a car. W e are hoping, and intending, to pay visits to car firms in the London area, to Race meetings and to hold our own Rallys. Next term there will be a film show with several films of motor racing, it is hoped to hold fairly regular film shows. "
By November 1958 the Club had 20 members. In March 1959 the Club reported that it was hoping for an exciting summer programme but the fate of the club is not know beyond this. The 1970 Student Handbook [PCL/8/1/2/3] reports the existence of a Car Club, but it is not clear whether the two are related.