- 1933-1988 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
In September 1946 a series of fortnightly Sunday afternoon gatherings began. Although sponsored by a different club each fortnight, all members of the Polytechnic were welcome. The Magazine, referencing the end of the second world war, stated "We hope our getting together on these Sunday afternoons may help us to translate that "recognition of man's brotherhood in God " into practical action, so that our Poly may make its humble but definite contribution to the great task that confronts us all."
The Sunday Social Activities Committee not only organised these events, but sought to revive the Poly House Parties that had been so successful between the wars, as an opportunity to engage in religious discussion in a countryside venue. The venue for these weekend conferences was Whitelands College, East Putney.
From 1950 the Committee renamed itself the Polytechnic Christian Fellowship Committee and it became the organising comittee for all the religious events within the Polytechnic. It included representatives from the Polytechnic's clubs and societies.
The Christian Mission Fellowship meetings which took place at the Polytechnic 1906-1914 do not seem to be a direct antecent of this post-war Christian Fellowship group, although their activities were similar.