- 1880-1912 (创建)
The 7th Annual General Meeting of the YMCI in March 1880 reported that "a Christian Workers' Union, whose principal object is to provide regular work for the Christian members, and during the last six months upwards of 20 of our number have enrolled themselves as teachers in the various Sunday schools in the neighbourhood, and the Committee earnestly hope that this is but the commencement of yet more extended missionary effort in connection with the Institute."
The Union published its Rules in the October 1881 edition of Home Tidings. It's object was "to promote and extend spiritual work in connection with the Institute."
In the Spring of 1886, the CWU Ramblers announced their first activities - this would eventually become the Polytechnic Rambling Club.
In 1895, the Christian Workers Union was re-named The Christian Mission. In 1903 the Mission reflected on its history and recorded that "The Mission, as at present constituted, is somewhat extensive
in its operations, and is made up of the following branches :— Tract Band, Open Air Mission, Total Abstinence Society, Lantern Society, Dorcas Society, Christian Endeavour Society, Missionary Society, Sunday Choir, Sunday Stewards, Percy Hall Mission, and the " Ivy Wheelers' ' Cycling Club. The membership is close upon 200."
The various branches of The Christian Mission seem to have become more independent over the years and in June 1912 the Polytechnic Magazine reported: A special general meeting of the Mission was held on Tuesday, May 14th, with Mr. C. H. Edwards in the chair. The business before the meeting was whether to dissolve or continue the Mission Council. After a good deal of discussion, which was very earnestly entered into by those present, it was proposed and seconded, " That the Christian Mission Council be dissolved, and that we support the Service League." An amendment was moved and discussed, but on being put to the vote the proposition was carried by a small majority, and the Mission Council is therefore dissolved.