Fonds HAR - Harrow College of Higher Education and predecessors

School of Photography Annual Exhibition A Centenary History - master Contact sheet Contact sheet Dr E Williams Park House, 102 High Street, Harrow Hill Harrow Technical School Committee list, 1890 Presscuttings The new Harrow Technical School Map showing the position of the Harrow Technical College and School of Art
Results 1 to 10 of 37 Show all

Identity area

Reference code



Harrow College of Higher Education and predecessors


  • 1897-c1991 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

25 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Marian Henrietta Hewlett (1843-1915) decided to begin art and domestic science classes for girls in Harrow in 1887. Under the auspices of the Harrow Band of Mercy, premises were rented at no 102 High Street in 1888, and public funding (for technical education) was received from Middlesex County Council from 1890 (and from 1894 its Technical Education Committee). Boys were also admitted. Students were drawn from Harrow and the surrounding districts. A new building for Harrow Technical School opened at Greenhill, in Station Road, in 1902 (extended in 1907 and 1932). Teaching included art, photography, commercial and domestic subjects, particularly in evening classes. The School of Art was increasingly important. Many of the instructors were part-time.

The name was changed to Harrow Technical College and School of Art in 1948. The first building on a 25-acre site at Northwick Park (acquired in 1936) was begun in 1954, completed in 1959 and formally opened in 1961. It housed the technical and commercial departments (Engineering, Science, Photography, Commerce, and Domestic Studies) - the School of Art did not move from Station Road until later. Following the White Paper on Technical Education in 1956 (Cmnd 9703) Harrow was designated an area college.

From the 1960s alterations were made in Harrow courses and status under the Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA), with more degree-level courses and an increased number of full-time and part-time day students and staff. Links were formed with polytechnics including PCL (the Polytechnic of Central London, formerly Regent Street Polytechnic). Harrow specialisms included photography, fashion and ceramics. Additions were made to the buildings at Northwick Park in the 1970s. In 1978 the college was renamed Harrow College of Higher Education.

In 1990 Harrow merged with PCL, which in 1992 became the University of Westminster. The Harrow campus was re-developed to house Harrow Business School, Harrow School of Computer Science, and the Schools of Communication and Design and Media (now the School of Communication and the Creative Industries). It was formally opened in 1995.

Archival history

Created by the institution.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Records of Harrow College of Higher Education and its predecessors.

Records include a letter concerning Harrow Technical School, 1897; Harrow Technical School register of teachers, 1907-1940; Board of Governors minutes, 1949-1982; Governing Body attendance book, 1949-1965, and minutes, 1982-1985; Academic Board minutes, 1969-1987; other administrative papers, comprising inspection reports, 1929, 1938, Department of Education and Science report on inspection, 1968, papers concerning CNAA and its Institutional Reviews, 1981-1988, and Harrow Annual Monitoring Survey, 1988-1989; visitors' book, 1975-1990; printed material, comprising prospectuses (incomplete series), 1946-1991, student handbooks, 1980s, programmes and other printed material for final shows, private views, etc, in fashion, art, design, film and photography, 1980s-1992, and Contour, the journal of Harrow College of Technology and Art, 1973-1978; various photographs, 1906-c1991, of staff, students, and premises, including construction on the Northwick Park site in the late 1950s; Hugh P Jones, 'A Centenary History: Harrow College of Higher Education' (typescript, 1988), and illustrations and other papers relating to its production; press cuttings, mainly from the Harrow Observer, 1901-1964.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

This collection is catalogued at item level. The original order of these records has been lost due to the fragmentary manner in which the records entered the University Archive . Arrangement decisions have therefore been taken by the Cataloguer based on type of record and ease of retrieval by users.

The collection has been arranged into the following series:

/1 - Governing Body and committees

/2 - Administration

/3 - Finance

/4 - Education

/5 - Publications

/6 - Events

/7 - Photographs

/8 - Student body

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Status: Open. Access is subject to signing the Regulations for Access form, unless the records are restricted under the Data Protection Act 2018 or under exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 2000

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion




Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places