Fonds PFE - Polytechnic Fencing Club

Sample Page Sample Page Sample Page Sample Page Sample Page Sample Page Sample Page Bronze medal: K. H. Staines Silver medal: E Nyiry Polytechnic Fencing Club Jubilee Fête Photograph

Identity area

Reference code



Polytechnic Fencing Club


  • 1927-1973 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

6 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(fl. 1883-2009)

Administrative history

Club tradition held that the Polytechnic Fencing Society was originally founded in 1883, and there are records of fencing displays taking place at the Polytechnic as early as 1881. However, the Polytechnic Magazine records the first formal meeting of the Fencing Society as having taken place on November 25th 1898, with officers elected including Douglas Hogg as president. As well as holding the presidency Hogg is recorded as having been an active fencer who won the Club Championship in 1899. In 1902 the club was one of the founding constituents of the Amateur Fencing Association.

Membership appears to have fluctuated in the years before the First World War, but in 1918 the club was reconstituted by Captain W. C. James with Major W. B. Marchant as president. By the late 1920s fencing was taking place throughout the year and the club was active in competition. A new constitution was enacted in October 1927 and Sir Kynaston Studd elected President. Notable club members from this time include British champion and Olympian A. E Pelling who was awarded the Studd Trophy in 1934. By 1937 the club had 104 members and was beginning to suffer from overcrowding.

The Second World War disrupted the club's activities, but fencing was quickly resumed at the end of hostilities. In the post-war period the club thrived, particularly with the appointment of the instructor Bela Imregi in the late 1950s. During the 1960s and 1970s the club achieved major competition victories and club members included the Olympians Martin Beevers, John Deanfield, and Stephen Netburn, and Commonwealth champions Richard Cohen, David Eden and Jim Philbin. The club merged with the Polytechnic Ladies Fencing club in 1972.

Archival history

Some material created by the club, other items acquired into the collection (through purchases and donations).

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Records of the Polytechnic Fencing Club including minutes of committee and Annual General Meetings, balance sheets, invoices, Honorary Secretaries' and Treasurers' correspondence, membership lists, photographs and memorabilia.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

This collection has been catalogued at item level and arranged into the following series:

PFE/1 Minutes

PFE/2 Financial records

PFE/3 Correspondence

PFE/4 Membership records

PFE/5 Memorabilia

PFE/6 Medals

PFE/7 Photographs

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Status: Open. Access is subject to signing the Regulations for Access form, unless the records are restricted under the Data Protection Act 2018 or under exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 2000

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion




Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places