Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Polytechnic Boxing Club was formed in 1888, in the same year as the Harriers. Many of the first members came from the gymnasts, and the Club gave an annual Gymnastic Display and Assault-at-Arms in Regent Street.
The Club had its first national champion when G.F. Belsey won the Featherweight Championship in 1890; C. Morris won a silver medal at the 1908 Olympic Games in London. The Club was especially successful in the 1920s and 1930s, when membership was over 500. 1n 1924 and 1925, four of the eight Amateur Boxing Association Championships were held by Polytechnic boxers.
The collection also includes papers from the North West Division of the London A.B.A. (Amateur Boxing Association).