Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Polytechnic Netball Club is the oldest continually existing netball club in the world, as certified by the Guinness Book of Records.
Prior to 1907 there is no mention in the archives of any ‘basket’ or ‘net’ ball activity. But at a Garden Party, held on 8 June an exhibition match is held at Chiswick between a Men’s Basketball team and a Women’s basketball team. From then onwards there are regular references to ‘basket’ ball until 1910 when references change to ‘net’ ball (for both men’s and women’s teams).
1914 sees the first mention of the ‘netball cup competition’. The team was coached by Miss Gates and the Gymnasium agree to provide a Silver Cup and medals for annual competition. The Poly League includes 4 Poly teams, 2 teams from Morley Hall along with teams from St John’s Lewisham, Tellington Old Girls and Catford Ladies Gymnastics Club. The London and Home Counties Net Ball Federation formed in 1925, with the. Poly Netball Club as a member. The same year the Club advertised for new members. It practised on a Wednesday night in the gymnasium at Regent Street from 6.30pm-9.30pm.
From September 1935 the Edward Marjoribanks Cup was awarded by Mr & Mrs Quintin Hogg to the netball team with the best record across the season.
In 1958 Town and Country planning made the first netball film at the Poly ground in Chiswick