- 1908-1925 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
In November 1952 the Polytechnic Magazine reported the Retirement of Mr Birkinger at the end of the 1951-1952 session, as follows:
Mr. Birkinger joined the staff of the School of Engineering forty years ago, and for the last seven years has been Chief Instructor in the Engineering Workshop. Besides his duties in this post he has been responsible for the maintenance of the heating plant in the main building. He joined the Polytechnic at a time when the School of Engineering included an Aeronautics Department and he took a great interest in one of the early gliding dubs, though of recent years he has transferred his attention to television.
One of Mr. Birkinger's last duties was to supervise the re-equipment of the workshop with new machines. This work, mainly done during the previous summer, was finished during last session, and the Polytechnic now has one of the most modernly equipped workshops to be found in any college in the country. The old arrangement of overhead shafting has been completely dispensed with as the new machines have individual drives.
The hope was expressed that Mr. and Mrs. Birkinger would enjoy a long and happy retirement. Mr. Frampton becomes Chief Instructor in Mr. Birkinger's place.